What is Brightspace Pulse?
Brightspace Pulse is a mobile app that can help learners stay connected and on track with their courses in D2L Learning Environment. It provides one easy view of course calendars, readings, assignments, evaluations, grades, and news. The app can help learners make better decisions about how to handle workload, when to submit assignments, and when to prepare for tests. Read-time alerts can let learners know when classes are canceled, rooms are moved, or new grades are available. The schedule view and weekly visualization enables learners to quickly at a glance view what is due today, this week, and upcoming across all their courses.
Use Brightspace Pulse to do the following:
- See all the important dates and deadlines for each course
- Anticipate busiest times with a quick glance
- Receive the latest grades and news
- Share updates via email, text messages, and social media
- Enter events and deadlines
- Edit course details and customize how much assignments and tests are worth
- Seamlessly log in to D2L Learning Environment via a browser to complete tasks
Brightspace Pulse platform requirements
|Operating System Support||Language Support|
|Android™ 4.4 or later
Compatible with tablet or phone
|U.S. English from any global Google Play™ store|
|iOS 8.0 or later
Compatible with iPhone ® 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c,
iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s
Plus, iPad ® 2, iPod ® touch (5th and 6th generation)
|U.S. English from any global Apple App Store™|
Get Brightspace Pulse
Log in to Brightspace Pulse
- On your mobile device, tap the icon.
- Learn more about the app by swiping left/right or proceed to the next step by tapping Next.
- Tap Pick Your School. You can find your institution by turning on your device's geolocation service or
entering a name.
- Note: Brightspace Pulse searches for all institutions within a 55km / 34 mile radius from your current location. The list does not necessarily include all institutions that use the Brightspace Platform.
- Log in with your school's or organization's credentials just as you would for D2L Learning Environment and then tap Log In.
Understanding the Brightspace Pulse interface
After you log in, Brightspace Pulse loads your course data by retrieving calendar events from Content, Checklist, Discussions, Dropbox, and Quizzes in D2L Learning Environment.
- By default (iOS only), Brightspace Pulse displays a weekly view consisting of a graph and list for your activities. The graph lets you easily see which days are the busiest in terms of workload and the list provides more details on each activity. In the graph, navigate forward and backward one week by swiping left/right or using Apple VoiceOver (iOS only).
- On iOS, hide the graph in the weekly view to display on the list view by tapping the icon. When you switch to the list view, the current week, next week, and upcoming weeks display. Switch back to the weekly view by tapping the icon.
- The activity summary lets you see how many activities you have in each category, for example, the number of evaluations, assignments, readings, and to-dos for the current week.
- The list view displays more information about your actives, for example, the activity name, course, due date, and percentage worth. Navigate in the list by swiping up or down. Tapping an activity displays more details information.
- Fill in any gaps in your schedule by tapping the icon to create a new activity. This provides you with a complete view of your weeks ahead.
- View your updates from news, Grades, and Content in D2L Learning Environment by tapping Updates.
- To log out, provide feedback, or view the Brightspace Pulse version, tap .
Activity categories in Brightspace Pulse
Brightspace Pulse displays the following activity categories, which are mapped from data in D2L Learning Environment:
|Icon||Activity||Mapping from D2L Learning Environment|
|Assignment||Dropbox, Discussion (Forum and Topic), Checklist, Survey|
|Evaluation||Quiz, Grade Item|
|To-Do||None. A To-Do activity is personal data created in Brightspace Pulse by the learner.|
Log out of Brightspace Pulse
- Tap the icon.
- Tap Sign Out.
Using Brightspace Pulse
Viewing activity details
From the activity list, tapping an activity displays complete details. For example, viewing an evaluation activity may display the date and time of a midterm exam, percentage worth, and special instructions for taking the midterm exam. You can edit the activity details by tapping Edit.
You can open the activity in D2L Learning Environment by tapping the browser link. Brightspace Pulse automatically signs you in to D2L Learning Environment and takes you to the appropriate page. For example, you could take a midterm exam by tapping Open in Safari, which opens the exam in the Quizzes tool.
You can easily distinguish between personal dates you created in Brightspace Pulse and dates created by your instructors in D2L Learning Environment. A personal date is identified by a Personal label.
Add an activity
If Brightspace Pulse is missing activities from D2L Learning Environment or you want to add your own personal actives, do the following:
- Tap the icon.
- Fill out the necessary fields.
- Note: You must associate the activity with a relevant course in D2L Learning Environment.
- Tap Save or Save & Add Another.
To view updates from News, Grades, and Content, tap Updates.
Note: When you initially log in to Brightspace Pulse, no notifications appear until new updates come from D2L Learning Environment.
View the details of an update by tapping an activity. For example, view a grade from the Updates screen by tapping the activity. Swipe left to reveal the grade.
You can share activity updates with others by tapping the mobile device's share icon. For example, on iOS, tap the icon to share an updated reminder about a midterm with other learners via instant message, email, or social media.
Troubleshooting Brightspace Pulse
I cannot find my organization or school when I search.
If your organization or school does not display in the list when you search, you can add it manually using its URL. This field is available when there are zero search results or if you choose to disable your mobile device's geolocation service.
I cannot connect Pulse to my school or organization.
If you cannot connect to your school or organization, the problem could be:
- You entered your ID or password incorrectly. Try again. Contact the eLearning Department by phone at 406-771-4440, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by virtual chat at http://elearning.gfcmsu.edu, or stop by our office next to the Weaver Library if you are on campus so we can help you get started with Brightspace Pulse.
I cannot see the courses that I am enrolled in.
It's possible that the courses haven't started yet or they don't have any dates associated with them.
I don't see any updates from the Updates screen or I cannot access my course documents, announcements, grades, etc.
When you initially log in to Brightspace Pulse, no notifications appear until new updates come from D2L Learning Environment. The Brightspace Pulse app provides you with notifications when Announcements are created in your courses and when you receive new grades from your instructors. These show up in the Updates screen.
Percentage values don't appear for any of my activities.
While Brightspace Pulse can retrieve data from your courses in D2L Learning Environment, it cannot determine percentage values for individual activities. Percentage values must be manually added by learners in Brightspace Pulse.
I don't see updated course content from the Updates screen.
Course content updates only appear in the Updates screen if the instructor checks the Notify students that the content has changed option for the updated content in D2L Learning Environment. Contact your instructor for more information.